Wednesday, October 6, 2010

♪Just like me they long to be close to ME♫

Well, it's been a few days, and I'm sure you're missing me as much as I am. Actually, the reason for the title of my post is not my narcissism (I actually don't think I have that!), but rather a compilation of some of today's (and yesterday's) hits turned into the Narcissistic Playlist of the Teens. A list turned out by M and I on a loooong road trip. Some of our other favorites on the list include:

I love me; you love me; we are one big family
I’m so beautiful to me; can’t you see, I’m everything I hoped for, I’m everything I need
I’m beautiful, I’m beautiful, it’s true
I wanna be where I am; I wanna see; wanna see me dancing -
I’m so vain, I probably think this song is about me -
Have I told me lately that I love me?
I get misty just holding my hand
Will I still love me when I’m sixty-four?
Come what may, I will love me until my dying day
Just the way I look tonight
Night and day, I am the one
No, no they can’t take me away from me
I’ll be my bridge o’er troubled waters
Eight days a week, I love me
I get a kick out of me
I love everything about me, yes I do
I have confidence in me! 

I suppose I should get down to something serious now. I always find myself more hilarious when I wake up earlier. Not that I am, mind you; I just feel that way! Also, in light of the fact that I took up a lot of space posting song references that you may not even pick up on, I thought a haiku would be appropriate for today's poem of choice.

Matsuo Basho (forgive the lack of appropriate accent marks; I only know simple accent codes on the computer.) was a highly renowned haiku writer of the 17th century. Probably his most remember haiku was
An ancient pond/ a frog jumps in/ the splash of water
That is just one of many different interpretations of the original. I even found a spin-off that a gangster had pinned on the lapel of his victim before drowning him. 

However, probably my favorite of Basho's haiku s that I have found so far goes
Even a horse/ arrests my eyes--on this/  snowy morrow
which he wrote during one of his four major travels. It was the turning point of his poetry from more introspective to more observant of the world around him.

2 comments:

  1. I love haikus. If done right they can capture a moment in a really unique way. Similar to a Chopin nocturne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, this sounds like it was an extremely long trip indeed. Was this the only list you came up with?

    ReplyDelete