Saturday, October 2, 2010

My not-so-secret secret obsession

Ever since I was a little girl, I have known that the really cool people in life are all... Minnesota Twins fans. My Aunt-a Dede, my grandma, everybody who mattered most (with the exception of my immediate family and pretty  much all my friends...) were Twins fans. I had this dream that I was going to be the first woman player on the Twins team. I would head out to the backyard with my baseball bat and ball and knock it around some. All the while imagining Aunt-a Dede watching the game and being so shocked when the announcer called out my name. Well, I kind of let that dream die after Dede did, and I realized near-sighted, tiny women with no experience in the game aren't exactly in demand in an MLB player's capacity. *sigh* I still root, root, root for my home team even though I'm not in Minnesota anymore. Well, in honor of that obsession, I was going to post a baseball poem. It seems appropriate this time of year heading into the post season. Then I discovered, I really don't like any of the poems that are out there about baseball. Maybe someday I will write my own. I probably wouldn't like it anyway. ☺ So because I have no plan to fall back on, I will simply post something else that I wrote. Sorry for the let down, gentle reader. Better luck next time!

I wish I were a stitch in the quilt of your life
With colors both brilliant and blue
I would wile all my days dreaming of night
Where I'd wrap my arms around you

I'd be wet with your tears, but bright with your smiles
All through the winter and fall
Then you'd pack me away and the saddest of things
is that you wouldn't miss me at all

2 comments:

  1. You don't like Casey at the Bat? What's wrong with you? Are you not an American?

    I totally want to see a poem about baseball from you. Force yourself to make one sometime, even if you don't share it with anyone. It would be fun.

    I wrote a poem about baseball once. It was modeled after the song America The Beautiful. Maybe I'll submit it to your blog someday.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even consider Casey at the Bat due to the length. I do try for a bit of brevity here.

    Someday I will write a poem about baseball (maybe), and I'm sure you will hear it.

    MMM... yes, I am thinking that I will not publish your poem, m, due to the adult nature of its content ;)

    ReplyDelete